Establishing Texas Residency

Under Texas state law, an applicant or enrolled student is classified either as a resident of Texas, a nonresident, or a foreign student. Residency for admission and tuition purposes at a public college or university in Texas is different from residency for voting or taxing purposes.

To qualify as a Texas resident, an individual must reside in Texas for one year and establish a domicile in Texas prior to enrollment. An applicant or student who is claimed as a dependent on a parent's most recent federal tax return will be classified based on the parent's qualifications for residency.

International students eligible to establish legal domicile in Texas may also qualify for Texas resident status; see the Residency FAQ for details.

You may attend McLennan Community College even if you do not reside in McLennan or Falls county. For information about how much it costs for a non-resident to attend MCC, by visiting our Tuition & Fees webpage. 

An individual's residency classification is based on information from his or her admission application. If an applicant or student is classified as a nonresident and wishes to be reclassified as a resident, it is necessary to submit the Residency Core Questions form.

For answers to specific residency questions or to contact the residency counselor, see the Residency FAQs.

Complete tuition/admission residency regulations for the state of Texas can be found at the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board website.

Changes MUST be requested prior to the census date of the current term in order to be considered for the current term, otherwise changes will be applied the following semester.