Requesting Accommodations (Disability Services)

Services are made available to students with documented needs. These include, but are not limited to, physical, mental, learning, vision, hearing, or temporary disabilities. Accommodations may be provided using the following guidelines:

  1. The Accommodations Coordinator determines the appropriate accommodation on an individual and case-by- case basis after the proper disability documentation from a licensed medical professional has been verified and the student has completed an intake form on WebAdvisor. Accepted medical professionals include, but are not limited to: physician, ophthalmologist, optometrist, audiologist, neurologist, orthopedic surgeon or psychiatric professionals, including psychiatrist or psychologist (including school psychologist or other professionals licensed to render a diagnosis).
  2. Academic accommodations are determined by an analysis of the following factors:
    • Valid disability documentation signed and dated by licensed evaluator (see above)
    • Legal procedures established by Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and the ADA
    • Essential functions of course requirements and individual classroom situations
    • Individual needs and reasonable requests of the student

For other testing (TSI, TEAS V, HESI , etc.), request for accommodations need to be submitted with sufficient notice so that the appropriate arrangements can be made. Please call 254-299-8122 or email for more information.

  • Steps to Requesting Accommodations (Disability Services)

    It is the student's responsibility to request accommodations. To request academic accommodations, students are required to complete a series of steps, preferably before or at the beginning of the academic term/semester. Registered students may request accommodations at any point during the term/semester after they have registered with Accommodations (Disability Services). However, students who do not give sufficient notice of accommodation requests are not guaranteed optimal accommodations will be implemented. Students have an obligation to inform McLennan Community College in a timely manner of accommodation requests.

    In order to receive accommodations, you must complete the registration process with Accommodations (Disability Services). This process is as follows:

    1. Complete a Request for Disabilities Services application in Self-Service (formerly WebAdvisor).
    2. Submit documentation to the Accommodations Coordinator and meet to review possible accommodations.
    3. The Accommodations Coordinator will determine appropriate accommodations.
    4. Instructors will be notified by email and will be able to access the student accommodation memo via the class roster in WebAdvisor.
    5. It is your right to choose whether to disclose your disability to the instructor. However, you are encouraged to speak with your instructor regarding your accommodations. If you do not request accommodations through Accommodations (Disability Services), the instructor has no obligation to provide any accommodation services to you.
    6. Accommodations requested by students which are not documented in the student accommodations memo will not be provided.
    7. If you do not have a current student accommodation memo from Accommodations (Disability Services) you will not be provided any accommodations until you complete the online request process and meet with the Accommodations Coordinator.
    8. Meet with the Accommodations Coordinator if problems arise regarding the provisions of your accommodations.

    Accommodations are not retroactive. In other words, faculty are not obligated to accommodate prior exams, assignments, or any course-related activity before an accommodation memo is delivered. Students are entitled to appeal accommodation decisions of Accommodations (Disability Services) and faculty. All student grievances will be handled through regular administrative organizational channels or in accordance with other formal policies of the College.

  • Dual Credit Students

    Students enrolled in dual credit courses while in high school are eligible to receive accommodations based on their disability. To receive services from Accommodations (Disability Services), students must follow the application process established for all McLennan Community College students and provide all documentation required. All documentation submitted will be reviewed by the Accommodations Coordinator to determine eligibility.

  • Students Who are Transferring or Attending Only Summer Sessions

    Transfer and Transient students should contact Highlander Central to inquire about admission status. To secure services from Accommodations (Disability Services), transfer and transient students with disabilities must follow the process outlined below to ensure timely service:

    1. Request Disability Documentation
      • Request your disability documentation be forwarded to McLennan Community College Accommodations (Disability Services) from the professional that diagnosed or assessed your disability. Or;
      • Request your disability documentation be forwarded to McLennan Community College Accommodations (Disability Services) from the institution that provided you with academic accommodations.
    2. Request Verification of Academic Accommodations
      • Request the institution that provided you with academic accommodations to verify in writing the types of accommodations granted.
      • Discuss with the Accommodations Coordinator the types of accommodations and services you used at the previous institution.
    3. Understand Common Points of Confusion
      • The student is responsible for ensuring disability verification is sent to Accommodations (Disability Services). Accommodations (Disability Services) does not request information from other institutions.
      • Admissions decisions are made without consideration of disability status. Do not send disability verification to Highlander Central.
  • Temporary Injuries and/or Illnesses

    A temporary injury does not usually qualify as a disability under the 1990 American with Disabilities Act (ADA); however, the severity and duration of the injury will be taken into consideration. Accommodations (Disability Services) will make every effort to accommodate temporary injuries when possible. Some examples of temporary injuries addressed by these guidelines include broken extremities, hand injuries, torn ligaments, etc.