Educational Benefits FAQs

MCC is an approved training facility for veterans and their dependents under the provisions of the various public laws commonly referred to as the GI Bill® and Dependents Educational Benefits. Eligible persons may apply to the Office of Financial Aid.

How do I submit documentation?

Documents such as your DD 214 and letter of eligibility may be submitted in person (McLennan main campus, ADM 212), faxed (254-299-6215), mailed (MCC VA Office, 1400 College Drive, Waco, TX 76708) or scanned and emailed to

How do I receive monthly payments?

When you complete the Request for Benefits online each semester, it alerts McLennan’s VA Specialist, who will certify all eligible classes with the VA Education Office in Muskogee, OK (using VA form 1999). The VA will process this certification and set up monthly payments for the enrollment period.

If you use Ch 30, 1606 or 1607, you must verify your attendance with the VA each month in order to receive your payments. Your enrollment can be verified starting on the last calendar day of each month of enrollment, either online (, click on “verify school attendance” on the middle right side of the page) or by calling 877-823-2378.

Ch 35 (Dependents) and Ch 33 (Post-9/11 GI Bill®) beneficiaries are not currently required required to verify attendance in order to receive their monthly stipends.

What should I do if I do not receive my payment?

If you attend school using Ch. 30, 1606 or 1607 benefits, you must verify your enrollment for each month by using the WAVE or IVR system.

Remember that you cannot be paid for a month until the month is over and you verify that you were still in attendance for that month.

WAVE and the telephone IVR systems require at least three work days to process and update the system. Both systems process data every work day, but it sometimes takes additional time before they are updated to reflect the new information. Payments are made after processing. Please note, if you have a checking or savings account, Direct Deposit is a simple, safe option for receiving your education benefits. Also, errors involving Direct Deposit can be corrected more quickly than a check can be reissued.

If you have allowed sufficient time, and you still have not received a check or direct deposit, contact the VA with the "Submit a Question" tool on the VA website, or call them at 888-442-4551.

Please keep in mind that the VA Specialist at McLennan has no access to VA pay records and cannot answer questions regarding payment delays.

Can I receive payments by Direct Deposit?

Yes! The VA strongly recommends this. Be prepared to enter your account and routing numbers on your initial application for VA benefits; if your account information changes, you can contact the VA Education Center at 888-442-4551 to update your information.

What should I do if my address changes?

Promptly notify the VA of any change in your address. Click on the 'Change Address' link after you have logged into WAVE. Changes are usually processed the next business day. You can also contact the Education Office at 888-442-4551 for more information.

What happens if I drop or fail a class?

Changes in your schedule almost always affect your monthly stipend, and may cause the VA to overpay you. The VA Education Center will determine these changes and notify you if you owe money to the VA. If you have questions regarding a debt/overpayment notification from the VA, the McLennan VA Specialist may be able to help you understand the letter, but cannot file an appeal, determine correct amount(s) due, or provide other payment information.

If you withdraw from one or more classes due to what might be considered “mitigating circumstances,” the VA may partially or completely waive repayment of debts. Examples of mitigating circumstances which the VA may accept include: extended illness; severe illness or death in your immediate family; unscheduled changes in employment; or lack of childcare. Reasons the VA may NOT accept include: withdrawal to avoid a failing grade; dislike of the instructor; or too many courses attempted. The VA may ask you to supply evidence of your mitigating circumstance(s). Third-party documentation such as medical records or a letter from your employer should be submitted directly to the VA Debt Management office from which you received the notice of overpayment/debt.

The first time you withdraw from up to six credit hours, VA will "excuse" the withdrawal and pay benefits for the period attended. Remember, this only applies to your first withdrawal. If you receive a grade that does not count toward graduation, you may have to repay all benefits for the course.

For more detailed information, please check out this blog post from, by Jim Absher on the repercussions of withdrawal, failing, and simply not attending. (Hint: Don't do that last one!)

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at